For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Friday, November 28, 2008

Reader Contest: Name that Tune

Happy day after Thanksgiving, the kickoff for the month-long shop fest punctuated at the end with what most of us still regard as a blessed holiday. My kids' behavior during the TV commercials is, well, exactly what my own was at their age. That's what the TV guys want them to do.

It inspired me to parody a certain overplayed Christmas song with this little ditty I composed. I'll send one of our stickers to the first correct guesser with the title of the original song:

Puh-leeze Mom and Dad
Puh-leeze Mom and Dad
Come here quickly, look at the TV
Can we get that?

I want a whole lot of toys for Christmas!
I want a whole lot of toys for Christmas!
I want a whole lot of toys for Christmas,
like they're showing in the ads!

(Repeat a zillion times for the next month).


Place your entries in the comments if you sign in with a Blogger account or URL traceable to a site with your email contact info. Otherwise, email me your entry at blogpoon(a)gmail(dot)com.

Ties will be determined by timestamp.

Update: I've altered a word in the first two lines to make it a closer match to the original. Is it a giveaway?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks a little like Ring Christmas Bells...but not quite. Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Carol of the Bells?

Kevin Gleeson said...

Carol of the Bells (Ring Christmas Bells) is a good guess, especially given its good fit on the first stanza, but no.

Anonymous said...

I pride myself on doing Logic Problems and Sudokus, to which this must be akin.

Then I started with your term "overplayed" as meaning they're commercialized and/or de-religionized.

Finally, I went through my own list of recently heard radio/tv squibs, and came up with....nada.

I'm sending this link on to some musician friends (tho they may not claim the prize, even if they're right.) Good challenge, Kevin.

Kevin Gleeson said...

>Paul said:
>Then I started with your term "overplayed" as meaning they're commercialized and/or de-religionized.

Don't read too much into my use of "overplayed". More accurately, I should have said "very well played in our local radio lineup at Christmastime", though I haven't heard it used in any ads. As another hint, it's a secular song.

I didn't think this would be such a stumper (but then again, I've been "peeking" at the answer from the beginning).