For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Friday, September 4, 2009

7 Quick Takes (my first...and probably last)


  1. With all the bad economic news and stories about horrible Obama appointees in the headlines,  I've decided to get away from all that and partake in something called "7 Quick Takes..." that's hosted at Conversion Diary.  This involves blurting out 7 thoughts about things happening in your life, or something.  At least that's what everyone whose participating in it seems to do.  It kind of looks like a condensed phone call, like when you call a friend and cover about 7 topics before hanging up.  This was number one.  I hope the rest are better...


  2. For those of you who don't know, I drive a semi for a living.  It isn't pretty, but it pays the bills...for now.  Freight is moving very slowly these days (not enough loads available for the drivers waiting for them), and most of us over-the-road drivers are paid by the mile, not by the hour.  Well, everywhere I deliver I run into someone driving for the same company I drive for and hear the same stories:  "Four of us were waiting for loads and the guy paid the least per mile got the best one, even though he got empty last."  And everyone telling this story says he was one of those drivers.  I must have heard this 50 times in the past month.  Rumors fly when times get tough.


  3. I received separate emails today from writers Matt Kaufman and Peggy Noonan.  One of Matt's emails was about Peggy which he wrote himself.  Peggy's email was probably automated.  Okay, definitely automated.


  4. My blood pressure test comes up before the beginning of November and I must drop at least 20 lbs before then.  I always get nervous when a doctor or nurse takes a reading on me when my job is on the line.  It's always close.  It has to be below 140/90 or I get suspended until it comes down, lest I lose my job.  And what a time to be unemployed!  I have resorted to walking 30 minutes per day at a speed fast enough to exert myself, but slow enough to maintain a conversation.  I saw someone on PBS 18 years ago who said that was the best way to burn fat.  If you go so fast you're huffing and puffing, you're no longer burning fat, just sugar.  Then your sugar level goes down and you start craving sweets.  From October to December last year I lost 40 lbs doing this along with dieting.


  5. My cat, Buster, accompanies me on the road in the semi during the 4 to 6 weeks I'm out driving around the country.  My employer is trying to pressure myself and others to remove our pets from the trucks permanently by keeping us out of the newer models.  Since I live alone I and therefore cannot leave him at home, I will have to part company with Buster if my employer has their way.  Or I will keep Buster and quit my job.  Or I will keep him by getting fired.  This morning I earned a ticket from the Louisiana State Police putting me one step closer to the unemployment line.  Buster looked pleased.


  6. In trying to find foods lower in sodium and fat (for my blood pressure) I discovered a salsa with only 25 milligrams of sodium and zero fat per serving.  Most have 300+ mgs sodium.  It's made by Desert Pepper and is called Peach Mango Salsa.  I've been eating it for a year and am not tired of it yet.  Of course I need to watch the sugar content, too.


  7. Are we almost done?  Last one?  Okay...  I'm thinking of joining a Monastery.  Since becoming a Catholic last April I've felt a calling to a faith vocation of some sort, and after ruling out the priesthood for various reasons, I think it would be as a monk.  At least for a couple of years or so for a thorough spiritual clensing.  I don't know if I could handle the vow of poverty just yet... 

0 comments: