For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Friday, September 3, 2010

7 Quick Takes On A Friday, (9-3-10)

Once again it's Friday and I am taking part in 7 Quick Takes, hosted by Conversion Diary, in which seven personal items, thoughts, or observations, that are hopefully interesting, are shared by me with all of you. 
  1. I was sitting in a truck stop lounge TV room, trying to unwind from a long day's driving, when an old episode of CSI Miami started.  Someone told me it was from the first season, which is something I wouldn't have known, not having seen the show much at all.  I don't own a TV.  During most of that episode it appeared that the evidence was strongly suggesting that a Catholic priest was suspected of molesting a teenage altar boy, when in fact (we find out at the very end) that his mother killed his father, the boy then told the priest who planned to go to the authorities.  The mother then killed the priest, but first blamed the priest for knowing that her husband was abusing her and still giving him Communion every Sunday.  I simply wonder if Jerry Bruckheimer, the producer of this and other CSI shows, has it in for the Catholic Church.

  2. I've decided that rather than have my sensibilities attacked at every opportunity, I would forsake TV for already run, previously successful, tried, tested and true TV shows already on DVD...like Dragnet, for instance.  There is nothing quite like watching Jack Webb and Harry Morgan argue with hippies about personal responsibility, property rights, and drug laws.  THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!  Not only that but the older, more gritty version of Dragnet in black & white is also available on DVD here and there, anyway.  It's funny to see some of the same extras from the show in the late '60's in their younger days in B&W in the'50's
    li>
  3. Apple makes a very sturdy phone, able to withstand great punishment, and even drowning.  Yes, I mean the iPhone!  In a scene reminiscent of an old Timex commercial, my cat, Buster, kicked my iPhone off the edge of my truck's sleeper bunk bed (yes, I left it there) into his water dish below.  It floated half submerged for around 86 miles of driving through North Carolina before I began to wonder where I'd left it.  I pulled over and went pale when I saw it floating face down.  When I picked it up I noticed water beneath the glass screen keypad.  After much shaking of the phone I made sure it was switched off, laid it face down on a towel, and waited impatiently for a whole day.  The next morning I switched it on and it functioned like new (once I recharged it).
  4. On September 11th I will be at Ground Zero in the morning for any commemoration that might be planned, and then to Park & Broadway for the rally against the Ground Zero Mosque at 2pm.  The last time I was at Ground Zero, I acquired a press pass for the '08 commemoration  (by showing my blog which has my real name, and showing my driver's license, and also doing  a bit of begging) and sat in full view of the podium where I took lots of pictures.   The rest of the public had no view whatsoever due to trees and grandstands, so I wonder how likely I'll be  getting inside this year.
  5. In a week or two I'll have to go back to the Dr.'s office (per my employer) to get another official reading of my blood pressure via industrialized medicine.  I went off the blood pressure meds last October and have kept it down naturally by walking and eating right.  I have added apples to my diet for the last six months after not being able to eat them for the previous three and one half years without my guts cramping up (resulting in a mad dash to the men's room).  My gall bladder was removed in October '06, which had an adverse effect on my digestive system.  I couldn't eat any kind of fruit after that...until six months ago.  Go figure.  The apples are helping the BP a lot.
  6. I got an email yesterday from Lila Rose asking for emergency donations to Live Action.  Seems like a worthy cause since they're pro-life, and they've been exposing the mischief of Planned Parenthood all over the country via hidden camera interviews.  The girl has guts, no doubt.
  7. The Mother Teresa stamp will be unveiled by the US Postal Service on Sunday at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC.  Seems there were actually some groups that had a problem with the post office issuing such an honor to a religious person.  But over 146,000 people signed the petition in support of the stamp at CatholicVote.org.  The stamp goes on sale Tuesday (after Labor Day) at your local post office.

    0 comments: