For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pilgrimage To Chicago 2: Holy Name Cathedral


My friend Kevin and I visited Holy Name Cathedral the other day at 735 N State St. in Chicago, after visiting St. Peter's in the Loop for Reconciliation, and were very impressed with its beauty.  Above the alter, if you look closely you will find five Galeros (Cardinal hats) symbolizing the five deceased Cardinals who served Chicago to date.  "Traditionally, this symbol of a Cardinal is raised to the ceiling of his cathedral upon his death. The hat hangs until it turns into dust, a reminder that all earthly glory is passing" 

Surprisingly, even though this is the Cathedral of the Chicago Archdiocese and looks impressive (as you can see in the pictures) it is not the largest nor the most magnificant of Chicago's catholic churches.  In addition to the Cathedral, there are THREE basilicas, each of which I visited.  But only two of which I can share pictures.  Sadly, Our Lady of Sorrows' Reverend asked me not to post online any of the pictures I took.  It seems that some photographers with bad intent were taking pictures of the shrines within the basilica and selling them for profit.  Even though I assured him I would do no such thing, he assured me that someone might swipe them off my blog and sell them.  So,...I promised.  The following pics are from Holy Name Cathedral only:





Hanging Galeros





0 comments: